Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Belly Laughs? Not So Much.....



A fellow pregnant friend has been recommending reading "Belly Laughs" by Jenny McCarthy practically since we've found out that we would be pregnant together. She raved about how witty and hilarious the book was. Eager to finally get out of this igloo, I ventured to the library yesterday. (And paid my fees! Woohoo!) Since it was clear that the snow would not let up and the snow drifts would continue to make my house and the rest of the area resemble Narnia, I snuggled up with my two furbabies and cracked the book. (Note: Stella falling fast asleep before it began should have given me an inclination of how it would go)




All in all, the book is only 165 pages. The chapters, if you can call them chapters, are often 2-3 pages long, which will end in the beginning or middle of the page, starting the next "new" chapter on the following page. So, 165 pages is deceiving.

I took me a total of under two hours to read the entire book. At the end of the two-ish hours, I was reminded even more so why I don't like Jenny McCarthy. The book consisted of her attempts at being blunt and vulgar, while saying "the truth" about pregnancy. Clearly, she didn't have www.thebump.com while pregnant, because what she had written was PG compared to the tell-all I've seen on the message forum. I don't think that she is as blunt and "vulgar" as she thinks she is, and adding a few curse words to each sentence or page doesn't make it funny, it makes her look desperate. Need I mentioned the over-used cliche phrases? Ugh. They drove me nuts.

I'll end on the fact that throughout the book she continued to refer to her celebrity status. Ok, I get it. The book was written in 2002, yet even then she wasn't an A-list celebrity that she believed herself to be. I picked up Tori Spelling's "Mommywood" yesterday as well, and started on that. It was far more up my alley.

/book critic over and out.

0 comments: