Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cribs & Shower Invites & Steals---Oh my!

The Baby Bargains books that I mentioned before has been my favorite purchase "for the baby" so far. It eases all of my feelings of being overwhelmed while sorting through consumer reviews and researching companies to determine if their products are safe enough for my little one. Look no further than Baby Bargains! They break everything down simply, take the consensus of consumer reviews without being swayed by the major (and minor) baby gear companies, list pros and cons, the average price range for that company, and give a rating afterward so that you can shop with a clear conscience. Oh, I love it so.

After what felt like years of searching through countless brands of cribs (which is what I decided to take first after receiving my little piece of heaven in the mail) I have at last made an executive decision. At first, I had planned on purchasing a crib that had the changing table attached with a drawer or two underneath. The more I looked at them, the more I realized that they aren't my style. We aren't that strapped for space that we need an all-in-one. Besides, I love the look of an entire furniture collection that my son can use throughout his adolescence. We decided to get the following:

Da Vinci Kalani in Espresso.

Since we will not be going with a crib that has the changing table attached, we have opted for an additional piece from the Da Vinci Kalani collection. I am in love with the changing table/dresser. It will look elegant as a changing table, while remaining practical for when a changing table is no longer needed and Max can use it as a dresser.


The next step is to order it. Of course, when I finally decide to make a decision, the changing table/dresser is out of stock! Grrrr. I will order the crib next week and have to wait to order the changing table/dresser. Either way, they won't be set up unti mid-April when we tackle the nursery anyway.

Because I was on a roll with making definite choices of items that I doubted before, I have also decided to go with my first choice crib bedding. Also, because I'm on a "do it yourself" idea-kick, I plan to make a trip to Michaels and get the wooden wall letters for Max's room, and incorporate the stars, polka dots and maybe even some other elements onto them. I'm so excited to begin this project! I'm anxiously holding off until the bedding collection comes in so that I can match the paint for the wall letters more closely with the colors in the collection. Ahhh! Why must I have to be patient for everything!? (Oh, and do you find it ironic that the photo I have of the bedding set is showcased in espresso furniture too? I think not. I'm going to go with destiny!)



Planning for Max's arrival sure is a grand ol' time, even if I have to resort to window shopping at certain times. Err... more like browsing the web. I'm not stepping foot out of this house voluntarily until the awful snow melts. Hey, it's scary to walk around in the big, bad world when my center of gravity of whacky and I'm lugging around an extra 15 pounds! So, because I am in love with small details, I began looking for my birth announcements and bridal shower invitations incredibly early. People may vouch that invitations don't matter, since most people throw them away anyway and therefore you are literally throwing money in the trash can. HOWEVER.... I am in a firm believer in "the little details often times make the biggest impression". I spent more money on my wedding invitations than I care to mention, but I had amazing feedback on them. I haven't put together my scrapbook from all the showers, planning and wedding, but I still look fondly upon those invitations, and the stationary that I used for the reception place cards, cards for the poem and the lottery ticket and the table "numbers" (which were actually our favorite songs that we listen to together) They certainly were never a waste in my mind.

So, on that note.... the following is what I have narrowed the choices down to in no particular order:

Choice number 1. Though a bit too fantasy for me and perhaps a little snotty, but I do think it's adorable.


Choice number 2. I think this invitation is so cool. I love that you are able to include my own sonogram picture, and with the 3D/4D ultrasound session (round number too, now that I'm further along!) I think would be nifty to include. With more fat on the baby and his features more defined, there will be a more clear image as to what he will look like, for all those other impatient people out there!


Choice number 3. I love the black and white used in this photo of the "sample girl". It's simple, not over-done and she looks gorgeous. Of course, if I were to choose this particular invitation, I would want to have my maternity shots taken soon, or at least a few from a decent camera rather than my dinky little FugiFilm. (No offense to my dinky little Fugi! She has served me well throughout the last few years! She just lacks variety and options!)


The baby shower is expected to be held the 3rd week of April. 5 weeks out from my due date. Next, I need to work on the guest list, and make it short enough so that I don't overwhelm my gracious host (Mom), but long enough to include those that I would love to see and spend time with while I still have the energy to make myself look decent. Then again... even that is beginning to fade! Because I absolutely love parties and get togethers, I plan to host my own "Greet The Baby" party after Max is born. At least at this one I'll be able to have a drink or two! *wink*

0 comments: