Friday, February 19, 2010

The Joys of Baby Bedding Conflicts

The decorator in me began looking at bedding collections and nursery decor when I was a mere 12 weeks pregnant. I'm picky about the nursery theme. I wanted something that was unique, that didn't look as if a stork had puked all over the room. My adoration for polka dots is no secret, so I don't think I surprised anyone when I decided that I wanted to incorporate polka dots into the theme.

I came across this:



What an excitingly perfect theme! One that he could grow into as his convertible crib has been made into a toddler bed. I was certain that was what I was going to buy. To avoid torturing myself, I vowed not to buy a single item from the collection until Elvis and I were ready to start the nursery. But then... after months of staring at it and daydreaming, I began to doubt my choice. I browsed other collections, and still had yet to find one that stuck out as much as this one had that was also a compromise to Elvis's taste. (The forbidden animal theme. Ugh. How more overdone and cliche can you get? No offense to animal-theme lovers)

Then this little number came into my life and I think I may be in love.



Now that.... THAT is a perfect combination. Vibrant colors, polka dots and animals. I was such a proud mom to be that I had overcome hormones and "No! I want this and only this! I want my way and I want it now!" and found something spectacular. Much to my dismay, Elvis is still stuck on the rainforest theme. Is it my taste? No. Is it cute? Sure. Elvis reminds me that it's not my room.

Um, excuse me. I beg to differ. Try asking our unborn son what he would like as a nursery theme, and I can guarantee that it won't care if there was not a theme to begin with, so long as he had a warm bed, a clean diaper and a full stomach.

Behold the rainforest.



Given the three choices, what would YOU pick? Perhaps the consensus of an outside party will alas help us to make our difficult decision.

0 comments: